Easy and joyful cooking

Saturday, July 22, 2006

Birthday Cake - My first attempt.

Yesterday was my husband's(Mohan) birthday. Every year i prepare cake with cake mix but this time with the knowledge and inspiration gained from fellowbloggers, i made an attempt. I know that storebrought cake mix gives better taste but this trail gave me immense satisfaction and somewhat proud feeling. Decorating the cake looks easy but it requires experience and patience. I may not be very good compare to others but gave me gut feeling that i will improve in consecutive endeavors.


(happy birthday)


The base for this cake is carrot as my husband many times looks out for carrot cake in the stores. And also it is healthy and can be done with minimal ingredients i have.

Preparation:

For base:

3 cups grated carrots
2 and 1/2 cups All purpose flour
1 and 1/2 tbsp baking soda
1/3 tbsp salt
2 tbsp cinnamon powder
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup white sugar
3 large eggs
2 tbsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup crushed pineapple
1 cup raisins

I used store brought icing and used food color brought from indian stores and mixed that color with part of the icing. Next time I will prepare Icing.

Preparation:

In a bowl stir flour,baking soda, salt, cinnamon powder and sugars. Add vanilla extract and eggs. Blend well. Add crushed pineapple, grated carrots, raisins and mix well. Por the mixture in two seperate 7" or 9" round pans. Bake in the oven of 350 F for about 30 to 40 minutes or until done. Cool the cakes. Place one cake inverted with bottom side up and spread icing over it. Place another cake(with round bulged side up) on top of icing and press softly. Now with wide spoon i decorated the cake.

(carrot cake)

Recipe courtesy: Mrs.Fields Book.

8 Comments:

Blogger Priya said...

The cake looks wonderful Sudha...a classic first attempt...I like carrot cakes...they have a nice fresh flavor..will try out ur recipe soon,
Belated Birthday wishes to Mohan :-)

2:57 PM

 
Blogger Vineela said...

Hi Sudha,
Yummy looking carrot cake.
Hope you enjoyed a lot.
Vineela

8:08 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

That looks excellent. Well done Sudha.

Belated b'day wishes to ur hubby.

8:44 AM

 
Blogger sudha said...

Thankyou vineela and pushpa
Pushpa- While preparing this cake i was thinking about you and wonderful cakes. I have to learn more and try hard to reach your level of perfection

1:55 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Awww....... ur flaterring me. Well, actually I too am learning a lot & there r lots more to learn.

5:20 AM

 
Blogger Sumitha said...

Oh I am sure you rhusband would have loved it,there is nothing like a cake baked by someone who loves you for you:)

8:42 AM

 
Blogger archana said...

Sudha,
This is such a lovely cake, you should be really proud about it. I can see many good looking cakes coming from you in the future. From my limited experience in the cake decor field, i can tell you one thing for sure, your strokes and writings look very impressive . Have fun!! Belated happy birthday to Mohan.

3:31 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi sudha,
Carrot cake looks yummy. Very well done at your first attempt. thanks for sharing.

6:41 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home