Easy and joyful cooking

Friday, September 01, 2006

Junnu

Junnu is a telugu word for a sweet which is prepared from first day milk of cattle usually cow or buffalo (Pl. Let me know what is the word for junnu in english and hindi). This is my favourite sweet which i think iam missing here, but a good friend of mine prepared this and to my surprise it is not from lactating milk. The taste and texture looks exactly the same as junnu that it almost satisfies our craving. I thought to share this with my entry to JFI-milk hosted by Vineela.

Junnu

Ingredients:
2 eggs
2 and 1/2 cups whole milk
1 small can condensed milk
2 tsp blackpepper powder
1 tsp cardamom powder

Preparation:
Beat eggs thoroughly. Take a bowl and add egg mixture,condensed milk,whole milk and mix well. Add pepper powder and cardamom powder. Place the bowl in a pressure cooker and cook without whistle on meduim heat for about 45 minutes. Cool for sometime in the refrigerator and serve.


Note: See another version of junnu by KrishnaArjuna.

13 Comments:

Blogger Vineela said...

Hi Sudha,
"Junnu" i like always.
My mom and grandmom used to give us by adding pepper and sugar .We will be waiting for the milkman once his buffalllo gives birth to a calf.
Really ,old recipe which we can expect here.
Thanks for your participation and Thanks to your friend also for the recipe.
Vineela

4:28 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Sudha,
Very nice recipe and entry for JFI. In Kannada we call 'Ginnu'. I remember my grand mother used to make with jaggery and coconut.
Thanks for sharing.

6:53 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sudha, Thanks for visiting my blog...you do have an array of delicious recipes in your blog..Junnu , is something I miss a lot..perhaps, your junnu would give in to my cravings.Thanks for sharing!

2:16 AM

 
Blogger Krithika said...

Have never heard of this. Thank you so much for sharing this

3:08 PM

 
Blogger KA said...

Sudha
Thankyou for tagging my post. Junnu looks delicious.

7:41 AM

 
Blogger Tanuja said...

Hi Sudha,

Ur junnu looks the same as we get natural ones from back home,thanks for sharing the golden receipe.

9:13 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Sudha,
I have tagged you for meme. Check my blog.

5:51 PM

 
Blogger sudha said...

Thankyou vineela,lera,krithika and krishaarjuna. Thanks madhu for giving me kannada word.

1:23 PM

 
Blogger Tweety said...

Hello Sudha, I felt very happy to know that Junnu can be made even if we do not get that special milk.
I just want to know one thing before I go ahead and make it. Does it smell eggy?

6:40 AM

 
Blogger sudha said...

Hi tweety..You don't get the eggy smell but you have to beat the eggs thoroughly. Also the flavours of cardamom powder and blackpepper dominates. If you want you can add little vanilla essence.

2:15 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Sudha,
This is called 'kadambu paal' in tamil.I remember the old good days my grandma used to reserve a big piece just for me.Thanks for bringing back the memories.

3:03 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi sudha, I have no idea what it is called in english but in hindi they call it "CHEEK". in marathi they call it "Kharwas" I too love it. On my last visit to mumbai I ate this at one of the restaurants called "HIGHWAY GOMANTAK" they specialize in Kokani cusine (goan food)and junnu is served as the main desert. Try making it by adding saffron & garnished with slivered pistachios. The colour and taste is lovely.

8:11 AM

 
Blogger swapna susarla said...

Hi sudha
i tried ur junnu.that was so good.thanks for the recipe.

11:24 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home